Have you ever spent time browsing Pinterest and all of a sudden someone’s pin catches your attention so fiercely that you are inspired to act on it immediately? That is precisely what happened to me last week. One of my friends posted this and I just had to make it.
Simply, bold and billowy, a fabulous combination!
I’m taking a little trip to the Virgin Islands and thought this would be fantastic piece to pack.
First things first, the pattern. Although the skirt is very simple, I decided to use a pre printed pattern, I didn’t rely have time to figure things out, I wanted to hit the ground running. The skirt in the inspiration photo doesn’t have a drop waist, but I think the drop waist will flatter my body shape more and won’t add bulk around my tummy.
So let the fabric search begin. There are few fabric shops near me and the choices they offer are a limited. I googled large black and white polka dots and began scrolling. I found several fabrics that were almost an exact match, but the weren’t cotton. I wanted cotton because it’s easy to sew with, easy to wash and cool, it’ll be hot under all those yards of fabric. This is what I decided to go with.
The fabric is, Art Gallery Avantgarde Tentative Dot Ink, $9.95 per yard
The pattern required a little over 4 yards of 60 inch wide fabric, the fabric I chose was only 43 inches. After looking at how the pattern is laid out on the fabric, it looked like there would be wasted fabric. I went with my first choice, but ordered 5 yards, and thought I’d fudge it if need be.
So, wash and dry fabric, iron fabric, cut out pieces, check, check, check.
After, I’d cut out all the mandatory pieces, I still had a full yard of fabric left. I pinned the front pieces to the top I was wearing so I could gauge the fullness, and after a few photos and texts with Marie, we decided that I should add a half panel to the front and back.
To make the front panel I folded the folded the patten piece in half along the centre, and then in half again, inverted the fold and smoothed it out. The important thing is to maintain the angels of the sides and the curve along the hem. The back was a little trickier because of the zip. Each back panel had to be a quarter of the original. The folding followed the same principle as the front. I was a little tight, but I managed to get all three pieces from the extra yard.
The pleated, shorter versions of the pattern are designed with pockets, but the maxi isn’t. I love love love pockets and they were a must for me, so I cut those from the fabric scraps left over. I also had to get a little creative when cutting out the front waist band, it wasn’t cut along the grain as suggested.
The sewing part was really easy, and fairly quick, nothing tricky. I did it all within a day. Roll on holiday because I cannot wait the wear it.