This had to be the foodie hit from the BBQ at The Croakery last weekend, It was rich and creamy, sweet and crunchy. I served it along side the vanilla red velet Checkerboard birthday cake, a great combination of flavours.
So here’s the recipe, this recipe is too good to keep all to myself. This is a new summer classic;
Runny honey 225g
Heavy cream 550ml
Full fat milk 250ml
Yolks of 6 large eggs
Golden caster sugar 125g
Runny honey 1 tbsp
Bicarbonate of soda 1/4 tsp
- In a small pan over a low heat warm the honey, In another pan heat the milk and cream until just below boiling point. Whisk together the egg yolks ina bowl until they start to turn a paler shade of yellow.
- Temper the egg yolks, by adding a quarter of the hot milk mixture and whisking thoroughly. Add the eggs and cream to the pan with the rest milk mixture. Stir constantly until it is thick like custard. Keep the heat low or the eggs will cook too quickly. Strain into a clean bowl, stir through the honey, cool and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the sugar and honey into a saucepan and add in 5 tbsp of water. Slowy bring to a boils so the sugar dissolves.
Boil until the sugar begins to caramelise. The smell is toasty sweet and heavenly.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and working quickly swirl the saucepan to mix it
evenly. Immediately pour into a greased baking sheet to set.
- Leave until cold and brittle. Then break into pieces.
Remove the ice cream mixture from the fridge, stir in the honeycomb and churn in an ice cream machine. Freeze until ready to eat.